Fences & Gardens
Cedar is the preferred species for fence and garden box construction due to its unique ability to withstand sun and moisture impacts over time. Typically rough cut band saw finish cedar is used for fencing and gardening projects, though some customers prefer surfaced wood. A typical fence will be constructed of 4×4 posts, 2×4 framing, and 1” material for the actual fence. A raised bed constructed of 2” cedar material can be expected to last 12-15 years before needing replacement.
- Fence Boards: 1×4, 1×6, 1×8, 1×10, 1×12
- Fence posts: 4×4
- Framing Material: 2×4, 2×6, 2×8, 2×10
- Raised bed garden box material: 5/4, 2×4, 2×6, 2×8, 2×10, 2×12
- Other sizes available by special order
- 2 and better
- Number 3
- flat grain clear
Timbers are used in the time honoured timber framing profession to construct everything from decks to large commercial buildings. The practicality of building with timbers has withstood the test of time and is increasingly popular today as a long-lasting and aesthetically pleasing construction technique.
Most timber orders are on a custom cut basis, due to the unique nature of each customers project. If possible, order your timbers well ahead of time. This will allow the wood to naturally dry, making it much lighter and easier to handle, as well as exposing the natural checking (cracking) patterns in the wood which allows for final placement to optimize visual objectives.
We manufacture both boxed heart and free-of-heart timbers. Boxed heart means that the pith (centre of the tree) runs through the timber, basically the tree is squared up by taking the edges off, leaving the timber. Boxed heart timbers are characterized by pronounced checking. Most timber applications can successfully be completed using a boxed heart product, especially in larger dimensions. Free of heart timbers are manufactured starting with a much larger log, cutting the timbers from sections of the tree around the pith. This results in timbers that are usually more stable with less checks.
We offer a variety of siding options depending on budget and style preference. The patterns we manufacture and stock are bevel, channel, ship lap, and board & batten.
- Bevel 6″ and 8″ available in Western red cedar
- Channel 6” and 8” available in Western red cedar
- Board and Batten 1×2 through 1×8 available in Western red cedar and Douglas fir
- Ship Lap 6” and 8” available in Western red cedar and Douglas fir
Natural wood decking adds beauty and warmth to any new or retrofitted building project. Cedar decking is used for uncovered decks, due to its unique ability to withstand the elements over time. Douglas fir decking should be considered when the deck is covered by a roof, as it is harder and more durable, and will outlast cedar when moisture and sunlight are not as much a consideration. Most customers choose 5/4 decking as it provides adequate strength at a competitive price. Standard 2” decking is also available.
Wood paneling has many applications and uses. Using T and G paneling will transform the space it is applied to, adding warmth, richness, colour and depth. Common uses include interior ceilings, soffits, and pony walls. Paneling can also be used as exterior siding and as covered deck or carport ceiling material.
- Western red cedar
- White pine/lodgepole pine/spruce (SPF)
- Douglas fir
- 1×4 and 1×6 available in Western red cedar and Douglas fir
- 1×4 and 1×6 available in White pine/lodgepole pine/spruce mix (SPF)
- 1×8 available in Western red cedar on a special order basis
- 2 and better tight knot available in all species above
- Flat grain clear available in 1×4 and 1×6 Western red cedar only
- Custom sizes cut to order
Rough Sawn & Surfaced Lumber
Rough-sawn lumber is the name given to lumber milled on a band saw. Lumber milled this way has a rough yet uniformly even surface. This wood can be used without further planing or sanding for many applications and is actually often preferred for fences, siding, gardening projects, exposed beams etc. A band sawn 1×4 or 2×6 are larger than conventional lumber, and some customers prefer it for this reason.
SMOOTH FOUR SIDES (S4S) LUMBER
We offer all our lumber products with a surfaced finish. The sizing is to the industry standard (nominal) sizes. We stock 1×4 through 2×8 S4S in both Douglas fir and Western red cedar. NOTE: Both the fir and cedar S4S are a decorative grade, and are best used in applications requiring this.
- Western Red cedar
- Douglas fir
- 1×4, 1×6,1×8,1×10,1×12 1” lumber milled at 1/8 less then actual width and thickness. (e.g. 1×6 equals 7/8x 5 7/8)
- 2×4,2×6,2×8,2×10,2×12 2” lumber is milled at 1/4 less thickness and 1/8 less width. (e.g. 2×6 equals 1 3/4 x 5 7/8)
- Other sizes cut to order
- #3, 2 and better tight knot
- Limited quantities: Flat grain clear and vertical grain clear in fir and cedar
We manufacture kiln-dried Douglas fir casing and base-board.
Use this form to place your lumber order directly with us,
or call us at (250) 551-5452.
Scroll up to see all the products we offer.