The Harrop-Procter Watershed Protection Society
The story of the Harrop-Procter Watershed Protection Society is one of determination. As early as 1976, community members were expressing concern about the fate of the forest above Harrop and Procter. Extensively burned by a massive forest fire in 1901 but mostly untouched by industrial logging, the watersheds represented a range of values such as old growth, wildlife habitat and ecosystem diversity.
A series of provincial land use planning initiatives in the early 1990’s – the Commission on Resources and the Environment (CORE) and the Protected Areas Strategy (PAS) - culminated in the Kootenay Boundary Land Use Plan (KBLUP) in March 1995. It preserved Lasca Creek (the drainage to the immediate west of the community forest) as part of the West Arm Wilderness Park.
This left the forests above Harrop and Procter vulnerable to harvesting. The Harrop-Procter Watershed Protection Society (HPWPS) was formed in 1996 and nearly 300 residents joined to support the intention to seek protection of water resources and, at a minimum, control over how harvesting might occur. Years of effort - research, planning, and bureaucratic interaction - resulted in the Society compiling a detailed 300 page application for a community forest license in early 1999.
Outreach & Extension
Recent conference presentations include: